Thursday 23 January 2014

Craft Challenge ..... knitted blanket


In recent weeks I have conquered a new challenge.  Knitting.  I can remember my Mum knitting away in the evenings and my Grandma used to make the most beautiful fairisle sweaters made from alpaca yarns in delicate muted natural shades.  I don't profess to be of that standard but I have mastered the art of plain knitting.  Mum taught me (not a quick learner) but then I joined, believe it or not, a knitting club at work. 

Initially scarves were the gaol.  Quite a lot of friends got scarves for Christmas but they humour me by wearing them!

I have now progressed to a throw (picnic rug) or cosy wrap.  The choice of yarns is amazing but if you haven't embarked on a project before I recommend you choose a modestly priced wool.  My throw is made from a good quality aran style thickness and I used No. 8 knitting needles.  Just cast on 40 stitches and knit plain each row. 


My Mum gave me a tip.  If you knit into the back of the last stitch on each row you get a much neater edge to your square.  Continue to knit until you have your required size and cast off.  How simple is that?  The bad news is you need quite a few of these darlings.  My throw is made up of 49 squares.  The great thing about squares is they don't have to match.  A crazy mix of colours would be great although I have chosen natural shades.  The other plus side with kitting squares you can click away on the train or bus – you will be amazed what can be achieved on  a journey.


When you have your requisite number its time to sew them together.  Arrange then on the floor to get an idea of pattern etc.  I sew mine a line at a time.  Then pin carefully and sew the completed lines together. Don't forget to sew in all the loose ends – don't just cut them off or your masterpiece will unravel!


The finishing touch is to crochet (double crochet stitch) all around the edge.  To get you around the corners, crocket a double stitch 3 times into the same hole.  Perfect corner.  I did three laps around my blanket which I felt was enough.

Final task.  Make a mug of tea, light the fire, wrap your throw around you and relax.  Maybe think of your next project.  I have just the thing up my sleeve watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment