Saturday 1 March 2014

St David's Day Welsh Cakes


With it being St David's Day today I though I would attempt to make some traditional Welsh Cakes.

I've never tried making these before but have enjoyed eating other peoples! The recipe I have used is taken from a very old copy of the Cranks Recipe Book (so many amazing tasty things in this book definitly worth a look). Here if the recipe below if you fancied giving them a try.

9oz wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg 
6oz butter or margarine 
3oz brown sugar 
3oz currents (I prefer raisins) 
1 egg

Mix the flour, baking powder and nutmeg. 
Rub in the butter and then mix in all the other ingredients until you have a soft dough.
Lightly flour a work surface and roll out to 1.5cm think. 
Cut out rounds of about 7cm, this should give you roughly 10 cakes. 
Traditional you use a griddle stone to cook the cakes but as I don't have one of these I used a large flat bottomed frying pan instead. Heat a little butter in the pan place the cakes on. Cook on a I medium heat for about 3-4mins each side or until you have a nicely brown outside and cooked centre. 
Serve straight away as they are delicious warm, but of course they could be kept and reheated later or even the next day (if they last that long!). 



Sorry for the traditional presence of leek and daphodils in the photo - couldn't resit! 

Enjoy your Welsh Cakes everyone.      

Until next time.
Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment